Getting Prepared


The amount of preparation and organization in such a short period of time has been intense and at times frenetic. I have had to locate, buy and/or rent mountaineering boots, crampons, snow shoes, clothing, pack, solar charger, camera and tons more.  To see a partial video summary of my gear and clothes click on the gear link at the top of the Blog page.  It doesn't show my really great down camp booties which came after I shot the video!

I had to fly to Colorado for snow anchoring and crevasse rescue school.  And have spent many hours schlepping a 60-70 pack up and down various trails around Phoenix.  Even went up to Flagstaff for a trial run in the snow on Mt. Humphrey's.  In addition to trail running, weight lifting and doing my 80's style dance aerobics classes twice per week.  I think I am in the best shape of my life.

I have had to meticulously research, plan and shop for the 20 lbs of food I must bring with me for lunches and snacks while climbing.  I am expected to burn 4,000-5,000 calories a day.  It is not uncommon to lose 5-10 lbs during the expedition.  And at 6' tall - 175 lbs, I don't have much to spare these days.

I bought the book "American History for Idiots" to take on the climb along with downloading the audiobook "Delivering Happiness".  I have a great collection of music and I will download some more magazines or books before I leave.

I think I have it all covered.  But we shall see.  

Comments

Popular Posts